At our house, finding a meal that pleases everyone can seem like an impossible task! With Michlynn and I working together at the clinic, dinner can be the last thing we want to figure out. Picky eaters combined with dietary restrictions can drive me a little crazy when we’re planning meals. Anyone else feel that way?
Over the last 10 years, I’ve perfected a white chicken chili that is easily customizable and a family favorite. It’s become so popular; my girls ask for it when we host parties and sleepovers! It is dairy and gluten-free, as spicy as you want to make it, and the Instant Pot makes it super quick to prepare! I prefer to use a rotisserie chicken, for sake of speeding up prep, but you can certainly prepare it with raw chicken. If using raw chicken, follow this quick recipe, prior to chili prep:
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¾ tsp salt or sodium-free seasoning
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Place broth, seasoning, garlic and chicken into Instant Pot, (no trivet.)
- Turn valve to sealing, set for 10 minutes at high pressure
- When 10 minutes is up, allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes.
- Open lid, drain majority of liquid, shred chicken.
White Chicken Chili
- Shredded rotisserie chicken, or shredded chicken from above recipe
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 6-8 cups chicken broth (vary to your tastes)
- 6 – 15 oz cans great northern or cannellini beans
- 4 – 15 oz cans garbanzo beans
- 1 – 4oz can chopped green chilis
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 4 tsp oregano
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Cheddar cheese & sour cream (if desired)
- Immersion Blender, or alternative options (see note in #2)
- On Sauté in IP; Heat broth, onion, garlic, cumin, oregano and 4 cans of beans. Once broth starts to boil, simmer for 2 minutes.
- Turn IP off, and use immersion blender to puree the beans until smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, a food processor or blender will do the trick. Reserve some of the broth before heating to blend the beans/broth mix separately in the processor or blender.
- Add shredded or rotisserie chicken, remaining beans, green chilis, cayenne, & salt to broth. Stir well to mix ingredients.
- Turn lid to “Sealing”, and manually set IP for 8 minutes on high pressure.
- When time is up, allow to naturally release for 5 minutes. Carefully turn valve to “Venting”, and vent remaining pressure
- Serve with cheddar cheese, sour cream
This recipe scales down easily and is great for freezing. We allow it to cool, and then portion it out into individual serving freezer bags. I hope you love it as much as we do!