The Harvest is wrapping up, and it seems like winter has arrived (at least here in Minnesota!). Local farmers are providing a bounty of delicious spaghetti squash right now, so I thought I’d share my favorite pasta-replacement meal!
Spaghetti squash is rich in protein, has fewer carbs than pasta and clocks in at 20 calories, compared to pasta’s 100 calories! It also contains essential fatty acids omega-3 and omega-6, and has potent antimicrobial properties. For families that are concerned with grains or gluten, spaghetti squash is a wonderful substitute!
This recipe puts spaghetti squash and meat sauce in your Instant Pot at the same time, with a quick 15-minute pressure-cook time. This is truly a one-pot meal, as you brown the meat in the pot, then add the rest of the ingredients and cook the squash all together.
Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash and Meat Sauce
- 1 ½ lbs. ground beef
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 medium chopped onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 28oz jar pasta sauce or crushed tomatoes
- Bay leaves (if desired)
- 1 Large Spaghetti Squash
- Set the Instant Pot to “Sauté”, and brown the ground beef with the garlic, onion and salt/pepper. When the beef is fully cooked, turn the IP off, and add the pasta sauce and bay leaf (if desired).
- Thoroughly wash the spaghetti squash. Using a sharp knife, pierce the squash all over and place it on top of the meat sauce. If you have a trivet, placing it in first will make pulling the squash out easier!
- Lock the lid, set the steam vent to “SEALING” and using the Manual setting, adjust it to cook for 15 minutes.
- When the cook time is up, turn the unit OFF or unplug it. Use the “Quick Release Method” to let the pressure escape. Check the squash, it should press easily with a spoon. Lift the squash out, and set aside to cool.
- When the squash is cool enough to handle, cut it in half and scoop out the seeds. Then, using a fork, scoop out the strands of squash. It will separate easily from the skin.Use a colander to drain any excess moisture.
- Serve squash topped with sauce and enjoy!
This recipe serves approx 6: 1 cup squash topped with sauce
This is the third in our series on our favorite quick, customizable Instant Pot recipes. As we move into the holiday season, we will be bringing you more healthy recipes, stress-relieving exercises and tips to make this your best yet! Check our blog weekly for updates!
Cheers to your health!